Understanding the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is the first step toward accurately providing SFSP meals and snacks to Minnesota’s children. Administrative staff responsible for program operations must have knowledge of recordkeeping and food service operations, as well as nutrition education and meal service.
State agency staff offer online and in-person training, as described below, and technical assistance to sponsoring organizations.
Sponsors provide training to new hires and ongoing instruction to all staff on program meal patterns, meal service, claims submission, food service operations, record-keeping requirements, and reporting. In addition, sponsors provide annual training to all staff on SFSP program updates and compliance standards for operations and program delivery.
Sponsor Training Opportunities for 2020
The online SFSP training provides information for regular SFSP operations. Due to the COVID-19 situation, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has released waivers, which have changed some of the regular operations. Please visit the Food and Nutrition COVID-19 Resources webpage for the most up-to-date information. Access the following online SFSP training courses here
. Check out the user tutorials on that page for instructions on how to register and access the courses. We need you to register, so we will have documentation that your training is complete for the year.
- Civil Rights, MDE-150 (45 minutes)
- Planning and Administering the SFSP, MDE-100, includes 19 interactive courses (10-15 minutes each)
- The SFSP Refresher, MDE-170, includes three short courses, one of which is a shortened version of the Civil Rights course (60 minutes)
- Menu Building Basics – Utilizing CN (child nutrition) Labels and USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) Recipes to Build a Cycle Menu, MDE-522 (60 minutes)
- SFSP Meal Planning for Summer Success!, MDE-523 (60 minutes)
New applicants, schools and nonprofit organizations that did not participate in SFSP last year, must complete:
- Planning and Administering the SFSP, MDE-100
- Civil Rights, MDE-150
Renewing applicants, schools and nonprofit organizations that participated in SFSP last year as a sponsoring organization, must complete:
- The SFSP Refresher, MDE-170
- New sponsor-level staff who oversee the SFSP must complete Planning and Administering the SFSP, MDE-100
- New sponsor-level or site staff with SFSP responsibilities must complete the Civil Rights, MDE-150
All applicants are also encouraged to complete the following online courses:
- Menu Building Basics – Utilizing CN Labels and USDA Recipes to Build a Cycle Menu, MDE-522
- SFSP Meal Planning for Summer Success!, MDE-523
Due to the COVID-19 situation, in-person training will not be offered in 2020.