Seamless Summer Program
The Seamless Summer Option (SSO) is available to schools participating in School Nutrition Programs. SSO is designed for schools that wish to provide meals over the summer months to their communities, but do not want to change program operations to meet the requirements of the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP).
Schools must qualify their site based on school or census data. All eligible meals are claimed at the School Nutrition Programs free meal reimbursement rate (except when qualified as a residential or day camp). Program requirements are explained in the USDA memo below titled Q&As for the Seamless Summer Option, in the resources below and on the USDA website.
While both SSO and Summer Food Service (SFSP) programs can serve summer meals, SFSP provides a higher reimbursement and is the primary program for summer, allowing school food authorities and nonprofit sponsors to operate both open and enrolled sites over the summer months. View SFSP program information.
U.S. Department of Agriculture Memos
Access key USDA memos on Seamless Summer below.
- Non-Congregate Feeding for Outdoor Summer Meal Sites Experiencing Excessive Heat (SP 14-2017)
- Meal Service Requirements in Summer Meal Programs, with Questions and Answers (SP 10-2017)
- Area Eligibility in Child Nutrition Programs (SP 08-2017)
- Local Foods and Related Activities in Summer Meal Programs, with Questions and Answers (SP 07-2016)
- Promoting Nutrition in Summer Meal Programs, with Best Practices (SP 06-2016)
- 2017 Q&As for the Seamless Summer Option (SP 09-2017)
- Expanding Awareness and Access to Summer Meals (SP 07-2014)
Promoting Nutrition in Summer Meals (SP 04-2014)
- Mobile Feeding Options in Summer Feeding Programs (SP 02-2014)
- Summer Feeding Options for School Food Authorities (SP 07-2013)
- Determining Area Eligibility Based on School Data (SP 06-2013)
Public School List with Percentage of Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Students from School Year 2018-19 - 4/16/19
To be used to identify schools that have 50% or more free and reduced students qualifying the school as eligible based on school data. Eligibility applies to the 2020 Program Year for the Summer Food Service and Seamless Summer Program (May 2019-April 2020), Afterschool Snack (July 2019-June 2020), and the Child and Adult Care Food (October 2019-September 2020). Family Day Care Home eligibility is re-determined in February 2019 using this data.
Site Definitions and Eligibility Documentation - Summer Meal Programs - 4/15/19
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) definitions and eligibility requirements for the various sites allowed under the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and Seamless Summer Option (SSO).
Meal Count Form - Clicker Counts - 7/10/18
This form may be used by sites that count meals with a clicker.
Meal Count Form - Daily - 6/5/18
Form and instructions.
Instructions for submitting Seamless Summer Option applications online; due June 1.
Meal Count Form - Weekly - 2/2/16
Form and instructions.
On-Site Monitoring Form - 12/12/13
Complete for each site within three weeks of the start of operations.