Districts, Schools and Educators
Physical Education Standards Implementation
The standards are to be fully implemented in all school districts by the 2021-22 school year. Full implementation of the 2018 Minnesota Academic Standards in Physical Education is defined as:
- By the 2021-22 school year, instruction in physical education in grades K-8 must include all the 2018 Minnesota physical education standards and grade-level benchmarks.
- Instruction at the high school level must include all the 2018 Minnesota physical education standards and grade-level benchmarks for grades 9-12 beginning with the 2021-22 freshman (9th grade) class.
- All school districts are required to develop assessments to ensure students are meeting the benchmarks.
The recommended transition timeline for the physical education standards/grade-level benchmarks is identified in the following phases:
- Development Stage; February 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018
- Transition Phase 1, District Planning; January 1, 2019 - June 30, 2019
- Transition Phase 2, District Alignment/Optional Phase-in 1; July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020
- Transition Phase 3, District Alignment/Optional Phase-in 2; July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021
- Full Implementation; 2021-22 school year
More details regarding the transition timeline can be found on the Recommended Transition Timeline.
The Minnesota Department of Education will be developing sample assessments during the Developmental Phase of the Transition (February 1 - December 31, 2018) and will be releasing them during the transition phase 1 (January 1 - July 30, 2019). Districts may either utilize these model assessments, or develop their own, to measure student progress on meeting each benchmark.
Time allocations and credit requirements for physical education are determined at the local school district level. During the transition phases, school districts are encouraged to ensure enough time is allotted for student learning to meet all the grade-level benchmarks.