DATE: February 21, 2019
FROM: Aaron Barnes, Supervisor, Special Education Division
RE: Paraprofessional Recognition Week, March 4-8, 2019
The week of March 4-8, 2019, is Paraprofessional Recognition Week. Paraprofessionals are individuals who work in a variety of positions in a school district. Their roles include, but are not limited to instructional assistants, Title I paraprofessionals, pupil support assistants, special education paraprofessionals, job coaches, lunch room and playground assistants, hall monitors, media center assistants, and health office assistants.
- Serve refreshments in the school for parents, faculty and administrators to gather and recognize the paraprofessionals.
- Highlight paraprofessionals in the school or district newsletter.
- Welcome each paraprofessional with a balloon or flower as they arrive at school.
- Hang a sign on doors saluting the paraprofessional who works there.
- Award each paraprofessional with priority parking for a day or a week.
- Hold a paraprofessionals’ pep rally with music, cheers and a paraprofessional parade.
- Ask a local radio station to air public-service announcements publicizing paraprofessional recognition week. Script the spots and record them yourself or have students record them.
- Invite all paraprofessionals to a reception in their honor, hosted by the superintendent, school board and school administrators.