Date: January 22, 2020
From: Aaron Barnes, Supervisor, Special Education Division
RE: Paraprofessional Recognition Week, January 27 – 31, 2020
The week of January 27 – 31, 2020, is Paraprofessional Recognition Week. Paraprofessionals are individuals who work in a variety of positions in a school district. Their roles include, but are not limited to instructional assistants, Title I paraprofessionals, pupil support assistants, special education paraprofessionals, job coaches, lunch room and playground assistants, hall monitors, media center assistants, and health office assistants.
During Paraprofessional Recognition Week, it is appropriate to celebrate the contributions of paraprofessionals working in schools. Here are some suggestions:
- Serve refreshments in the school for parents, faculty and administrators to gather and recognize the paraprofessionals.
- Highlight paraprofessionals in the school or district newsletter.
- Welcome each paraprofessional with a balloon or flower as they arrive at school.
- Hang a sign on doors saluting the paraprofessional who works there.
- Award each paraprofessional with priority parking for a day or a week.
- Hold a paraprofessionals’ pep rally with music, cheers and a paraprofessional parade.
- Ask a local radio station to air public-service announcements publicizing paraprofessional recognition week. Script the spots and record them yourself or have students record them.
- Invite all paraprofessionals to a reception in their honor, hosted by the superintendent, school board and school administrators.