Assessment in Early Childhood
MDE encourages Pre-K-3rd Grade (P3) systems to consider adopting KEP-approved assessments since these assessments can be used with children across ages, grades, and programs (e.g., prekindergarten, kindergarten, Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK), School Readiness, School Readiness Plus (SRP), Early Childhood Special Education, Head Start, and child care programs).
KEP-approved assessments for School Year (SY) 2019-20:
- COR Advantage, produced by High Scope
- For use with children from birth through kindergarten
- Desired Results Developmental Profile – (DRDP), Comprehensive View, published by WestEd and the California Department of Education
- DRDP-PS, for use with children up to two years prior to kindergarten entry (i.e. 3- and 4-year-olds)
- DRDP-K, for use with children in kindergarten
- GOLD, published by Teaching Strategies
- For use with children from birth through third grade
- Work Sampling System (WSS), published by Pearson
- WSS-P3, for use with children two years prior to kindergarten entry (i.e. 3-year-olds)
- WSS-P4, for use with children one year prior to kindergarten entry (i.e. 4-year olds)
- WSS-K, for use with children in kindergarten
- Reading Well by Third Grade.
- World’s Best Workforce.
- Child Outcome Summary Forms (COSF) reporting.
- Parent Aware 3- and 4-star-rated programs in order to fulfill their assessment requirement.