The Division of School Support provides high-quality training, tools and technical assistance for several practices related to teacher development and evaluation (TDE), Quality Compensation (Q Comp), principal development and evaluation (PDE), and staff development. We consult with educators, state professional organization leaders and national experts to help Minnesota districts and schools design, implement and continuously improve teacher and leader effectiveness models.To achieve our shared vision of continuous improvement of principal leadership, teacher practices and student outcomes, we:
- Offer high-quality, customized professional development for districts and charter schools.
- Are flexible and use multiple support methods (e.g., workshops, webinars, site-based assistance) to differentiate and supplement district and school professional development needs.
- Consult with district leadership teams to support continual improvement (e.g., be a critical friend or thought partner; engage in problem-solving; provide a unique perspective informed by emerging best practices and other district and state practices; provide tools to assess the quality of plan design, implementation or both).
- Clarify statutes, including TDE, Q Comp and staff development, and provide support to complete applications, program updates and reports.
- Work with districts and charter schools across the state by being a visible, accessible and supportive resource.
Use our contact information on the left navigation menu to ask how our team can partner with your educators.
Professional Learning Community (PLC) Series: Spring Session
This is a repeat of the Falls 2019 PLC Series. Are you looking to narrow the focus and determine what matters most? This year’s series will build upon the collaborative culture developed during the 2018-19 series with a focus on learning and results. During the fall session, teams will explore three big ideas and four critical questions that guide the work of highly effective learning teams. Participants will learn about a guaranteed and viable curriculum and begin identifying learning targets for use in assessment. Participants will also examine ways to use data to focus on learning outcomes.
- Register for the March 5, 2020 Workshop, Roseville, MN
- Register for the March 9, 2020 Workshop, Rochester, MN
- Register for the March 9, 2020 Workshop, Marshall, MN
- Register for the March 18, 2020 Workshop, Sartell, MN
- Register for the March 26, 2020 Workshop, Staples, MN
- Register for the April 27, 2020 Workshop, Thief River Falls, MN
- Register for the April 28, 2020 Workshop, Fergus Falls, MN
Community of Practice: Teacher Leadership Workshop Series (Three Parts):
This will be a three-part series with sessions held at the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) in Conference Center B, Room 16, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., on:
- October 14, 2019
- January 23, 2020
- May 13, 2020
Since this workshop series is a cohort model, registrants are required to attend the first session in order to attend the January and May sessions. Registrants are encouraged to attend all three sessions.
I am a Teacher Leader: What Now? The first workshop in a three-part series; registrants are encouraged to attend all three dates. Are you interested in exploring this question with other teacher leaders who are new to their role? Participants will identify the skills needed to strengthen and be successful in their teacher leadership roles. Topics will include: National Teacher Leader Standards, Adult Learning Theory, team building, resolving conflict, communication skills, and working with diverse populations. This is an ongoing series of networking sessions designed to enhance previous learning, reflect on leadership practices, while developing strong connections with other teacher leaders. Participants will contribute to the structure of the future sessions by planning topics and activities that address their needs and goals.
Please contact Tamara Valmé if you have any questions on this workshop series.
Coaching and Feedback: Networking Sessions (winter and spring) – please register for one or both networking sessions:
These sessions will be offered in the winter and spring at MDE in Conference Center B, Room 15, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., on:
- January 15, 2020
- May 6, 2020
Since these sessions don’t build upon each other, registrants are able to register for one or both depending on what works for them. Registrants are encouraged to attend both sessions.
The networking sessions will offer an opportunity for participants to identify skills and tools needed to help shape their coaching craft, strengthen the observation/feedback system in their educational setting, and be successful in their role. Topics might include: building and maintaining relationships, coaching conversations, coaching for equity, difficult conversations, self-reflection and more. Both sessions will be designed to highlight small and big wins, address current challenges coaches are experiencing, collaborate and problem solve with colleagues, and develop professional connections with other coaches. Participants will contribute to the structure of each session by planning topics and activities that address their needs and goals.
Audience: Peer reviewer/coaching teams, Q Comp coordinators and administrators. We recommend the full team of peer reviewers and evaluators attend.
Please contact Angela Mansfield if you have any questions on this networking series.
Q Comp Application Writing Workshops
MDE offers Q Comp application writing workshops, upon request. Contact email@example.com. Currently, there is a waiting list for Q Comp funding.
Principal and Principal Supervisor Professional Development
For future principal and supervisor training, please contact Ann Mitchell.
Staff Development Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - 2/17/15
This document addresses some of the most commonly asked questions found in Minnesota Statutes, sections 122A.60 and 122A.61.