Food and Nutrition COVID-19 Resources
Parent/Guardian Meal Pick Up Guidance School Year 2020-21
Expiration Date: June 30, 2021
Non-congregate meal pick up options for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)/School Breakfast Program (SBP), Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program, the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)/Seamless Summer Option (SSO)
The Nationwide Waiver to Allow Parents and Guardians to Pick Up Meals for Children – EXTENSION #2, EXTENSION #5 and the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) Parent and Guardian Snack Pick Up waiver allow parents/guardians to pick up meals and snacks through school year 2020-21 for:
- children enrolled in a school that is participating in the NSLP/SBP/FFVP,
- children and adults participating in CACFP, and
- children participating in SFSP or SSO.
The waiver applies only to non-congregate meal distribution. Program operators utilizing this waiver must maintain accountability and program integrity to ensure that:
- Meals are distributed only to parents/guardians of eligible participants (enrolled students, children or adults participating in an adult day care program).
- Duplicate meals are not distributed to any participant (for example, the same child should not receive two lunch meals for the same day). Meals may be bundled for allowable service days.
- Meals are counted at the point of service.
- Meals served under the NSLP/SBP are claimed by student eligibility category – free, reduced-price or paid.
- For enrolled SFSP/SSO or child care sites, program operators must have a system in place to identify the child that meals are being picked up for. This includes but is not limited to asking for the student/participant’s name, grade, classroom/homeroom teacher, a PIN, student ID or other identifier.
- For open SFSP/SSO sites, program operators may consider asking the parent/guardian one or more of the following questions to validate that the meals are being picked up for children:
- Which school/center does/do your child(ren) attend?
- What is/are your child(ren)’s grade(s)?
- Who is your child(ren)’s teacher(s)?
- What is/are your child(ren)’s age(s)?
Sponsors are not required to utilize this waiver or may implement it without notifying the state agency of their intent to utilize the waiver.