Principal Development and Evaluation
Stakeholders, including principals, principal supervisors, representatives from higher education, and representatives from Minnesota educational service cooperatives, Minnesota Association of School Administrators, Minnesota Elementary School Principals Association, Minnesota Association of Secondary School Principals, the Board of School Administrators, and Education Minnesota, conceived and reviewed the following resources:
- Principal Development and Evaluation State Model ‒ Tools and resources for districts that wish to use or adopt the Minnesota state model for principal development and evaluation.
- Principal Evaluation Promising Practices ‒ Practices in principal evaluation that have been developed and used by school districts around the state of Minnesota.
- Resources for Local Principal Development and Evaluation Systems ‒ Resources to help districts design and implement principal development and evaluation systems that meet statutory requirements and help principals grow continually as instructional leaders.
- Resources for Principal Supervisors ‒ Resources to aid principal supervisors in their work in evaluating principals and in guiding principals’ growth as instructional leaders.
- Resources for School Leaders ‒ Resources include a change management handbook and a guide for school leaders in their work with instructional leadership teams and professional learning communities.
For information on renewing an administrator license, see the Minnesota Board of School Administrators or the Minnesota Professional Educator and Licensing Standards Board.
For professional development opportunities for principals and principal supervisors, please visit the Professional Development webpage.
Contact Ann Mitchell if you have any questions.
Additional Resources for Districts
Frequently Asked Questions about Minnesota Principal Evaluation and the Model
There are many organizations that provide useful tools and information for districts on this process. We will make them available under Related offsite resources.
ESSA Tool for Principals: In collaboration with the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP), the Center on Great Teachers and Leaders (GTL Center) is pleased to announce the release of a new, interactive tool for principals: Principals Action Plan for the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA): Providing All Students with a Well-Rounded and Complete Education. To support principals’ crucial voices in ESSA planning, this tool provides principals with actionable talking points to use with their states and districts to promote a well-rounded and complete education model in the following areas:
- Standards and Assessments
- School Improvement
- District Title I Plans and Resources
- Professional Support for Educators
- Student Supports and Academic Enrichment
- High-Quality Early Learning