Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
PBIS DefinitionPBIS is now defined in state statute, thanks to the implementation efforts of more than 35 percent of schools (769 schools to date) with support from districts and/or funded Regional Implementation Projects. Definition of PBIS below:
“Positive behavioral interventions and supports” or “PBIS” means an evidence-based framework for preventing problem behavior, providing instruction and support for positive and prosocial behaviors, and supporting social, emotional and behavioral needs for all students. Schoolwide implementation of PBIS requires training, coaching, and evaluation for school staff to consistently implement the key components that make PBIS effective for all students, including:
- establishing, defining, teaching, and practicing three to five positively stated schoolwide behavioral expectations that are representative of the local community and cultures;
- developing and implementing a consistent system used by all staff to provide positive feedback and acknowledgment for students who display schoolwide behavioral expectations;
- developing and implementing a consistent and specialized support system for students who do not display behaviors representative of schoolwide positive expectations;
- developing a system to support decisions based on data related to student progress, effective implementation of behavioral practices, and screening for students requiring additional behavior supports;
- using a continuum of evidence-based interventions that is integrated and aligned to support academic and behavioral success for all students; and
- using a team-based approach to support effective implementation, monitor progress, and evaluate outcomes.
Consistent with Minnesota Statutes, section 120B.232, subdivision 1, character education curriculum and programs may be used to support implementation of the key components of PBIS.
Read how 769 Minnesota schools are getting great results using PBIS.
Minnesota Department of Education Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports Initiative - 8/12/19
Description and information, 2004-20
Multi-Tiered System of Support - 11/20/12
Chart showing systemic approach and practice examples for the Multi-Tiered System of Support.