Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
PBIS is identified in Minnesota's Olmstead Plan as a strategy for increasing the percentage of students with disabilities receiving education in the most integrated setting. Read more about the Olmstead Plan.
Apply by March 20 for Minnesota Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Recognition SystemMinnesota schools and districts are invited to apply for the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Recognition System. The purpose of Minnesota PBIS Recognition is to identify and recognize exemplar schools and districts that have completed PBIS implementation and are continuing to achieve positive student outcomes. These schools and districts are able to demonstrate exemplary status by sustaining school-wide PBIS with fidelity in the current 2018-2019 school year. Criteria are based on effective implementation of the essential components outlined by our national Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support. Applications for PBIS Recognition are due March 20, 2020. Links to application overviews and applications are available below.
Exemplar Sustaining PBIS Schools
- Cohort schools (those that have completed a two-year training sequence with the state or a regional implementation project). View the application overview for cohort schools on the PBIS Minnesota website. View the Application for PBIS Sustaining Exemplar Schools Recognition ‒ Cohort Trained.
- Non-cohort schools (those that have received training through a source other than the state or a regional training implementation project). View the application overview for non-cohort schools on the PBIS Minnesota website. View the Application for PBIS Sustaining Exemplar Schools Recognition ‒ Non-cohort.
Exemplar PBIS DistrictsIn addition to individual school recognition, districts that are coordinating and supporting their PBIS schools, whether cohort-trained or not, are invited to apply for district recognition. View the application overview for districts on the PBIS Minnesota website. View the Application for PBIS District Recognition.
For more information, contact the PBIS Management Team.
PBIS DefinitionPBIS is now defined in state statute, thanks to the implementation efforts of more than 35 percent of schools (769 schools to date) with support from districts and/or funded Regional Implementation Projects. Definition of PBIS below:
“Positive behavioral interventions and supports” or “PBIS” means an evidence-based framework for preventing problem behavior, providing instruction and support for positive and prosocial behaviors, and supporting social, emotional and behavioral needs for all students. Schoolwide implementation of PBIS requires training, coaching, and evaluation for school staff to consistently implement the key components that make PBIS effective for all students, including:
- establishing, defining, teaching, and practicing three to five positively stated schoolwide behavioral expectations that are representative of the local community and cultures;
- developing and implementing a consistent system used by all staff to provide positive feedback and acknowledgment for students who display schoolwide behavioral expectations;
- developing and implementing a consistent and specialized support system for students who do not display behaviors representative of schoolwide positive expectations;
- developing a system to support decisions based on data related to student progress, effective implementation of behavioral practices, and screening for students requiring additional behavior supports;
- using a continuum of evidence-based interventions that is integrated and aligned to support academic and behavioral success for all students; and
- using a team-based approach to support effective implementation, monitor progress, and evaluate outcomes.
Consistent with Minnesota Statutes, section 120B.232, subdivision 1, character education curriculum and programs may be used to support implementation of the key components of PBIS.
Read how 769 Minnesota schools are getting great results using PBIS.
Minnesota Department of Education Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports Initiative - 8/12/19
Description and information, 2004-20
Multi-Tiered System of Support - 11/20/12
Chart showing systemic approach and practice examples for the Multi-Tiered System of Support.