“Prone restraint” means placing a student in a face down position.
Effective August 1, 2015, school districts are prohibited from using prone restraint as an emergency restraint for students with disabilities (Minnesota Statutes, section 125A.0942). Based upon that prohibition, school district staff are not authorized to use prone restraint as an emergency restraint for students with disabilities under the reasonable force statute (Minnesota Statutes, section 121A.582).
New Physical Holding Data Collection Tool
- Physical Holding data is now collected using the new Stepwell MN data reporting tool. Stepwell MN is live and ready for your physical holding data!
- Please submit your 2020-21 Physical Holding data by August 31, 2021. Due to the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE)’s delay in completing the Stepwell MN system, MDE will continue to collect Physical Holding data until August 31, 2021. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to improve the restrictive procedures data collection process!
- Note that reporting through Stepwell MN will require names and Minnesota Automated Reporting Student System (MARSS) numbers for students who have been physically held during the 2020-21 school year, as well as the number of holds and number of injuries experienced by each student. Stepwell MN will also include narrative response questions about what has worked in your district to reduce the use of restrictive procedures.
- View a recording of the June 24 Stepwell MN training regarding physical holding. If you would like a copy of Stepwell’s PowerPoint presentation, please email Karen Reiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review Frequently Asked Questions on Restrictive Procedures Data Collection in Stepwell, for more information about Stepwell MN and restrictive procedures collection and reporting.
- Your district Identified Official with Authority (IOwA) will need to assign you as a District Leader to access Stepwell MN. If you need help securing EDIAM access, visit the Data Submissions webpage. A step-by-step guide to authorizing user access in EDIAM can be found under the Identified Official with Authority (IOwA) Setup Process heading. Please note, MDE personnel cannot authorize user access. You may also email email@example.com with access questions.
- Log in to Stepwell through EDIAM using the following process:
- Access the following link: https://secure.education.mn.gov/EDIAMProfile or by clicking the Enter Stepwell MN link on MDE’s Stepwell MN webpage.
- Enter your User ID and password (this is the user ID and password that you used to access MNCIMP) and click Login.
- Under Authorized Applications, select Stepwell.
- Click Minnesota Users Click Here, which is a blue bar above the login fields.
- Enter your User ID and password (just like above) one more time, and click Login.
If this is your first time logging into Stepwell MN, you may not see a physical holding task under My Tasks when you initially log in. Try a “hard refresh” (press the Ctrl + F5 keys). If you still do not see it, contact MDE at MDE.RP-SeclusionReporting@state.mn.us. Send questions about physical holding reporting to MDE.RP-SeclusionReporting@state.mn.us or to Karen Reiter at firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-582-8386.
Send questions about EDIAM access to email@example.com.
Send questions about physical holding reporting to MDE.RP-SeclusionReporting@state.mn.us or to Karen Reiter at firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-582-8386.
Physical Holding Model Form - 12/2/13
Each time physical holding is used, the staff person who implements or oversees the physical holding must document its use.