Students build artistic literacy in an art form by applying foundational knowledge and skills while working in four processes fundamental to the arts: Creating, Responding, Performing/Presenting, and Connecting. The Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in the Arts include five arts areas: dance, media arts, music, theater, and visual arts.
Distance Learning Resources
Please visit the Student Instruction COVID-19 Resources webpage to find resources for providing student instruction via distance learning. You can also subscribe to email alerts to receive notifications when the resources on the Student Instruction page are updated.
Standards, Assessment and Graduation Requirements
- 2008 Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in the Arts: spreadsheet and narrative versions available
- Draft 2018 Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in Arts Education (Currently undergoing rulemaking process. See note at the bottom of this page about this current draft updated February 2020.)
Professional Learning and Upcoming Events
Legislative Initiatives and Special Projects
Turnaround Arts, a program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, is based on the premise that high-quality learning in and through the arts can strengthen school transformation efforts, boost academic achievement, and increase student engagement in schools facing some of the toughest educational challenges. Turnaround Arts: Minnesota began working with schools across Minnesota in 2014, and became an MDE program in 2018. Participating schools have demonstrated increased student achievement, increased student and family engagement, decreased suspensions and behavior increased teacher instructional capacity, and improved school culture and climate. Read more on Turnaround Arts in Minnesota.
Recognition and Awards Programs
Content Specialist Contact Information
Resources for Instruction and Learning
- No wording was changed.
- A key and introductory language have been added.
- Italicized terms are aligned with the arts standards glossary.
- Bolding for foundations has been refined.
- The computer science-related benchmarks have been accurately marked with **.
- A few typos have been corrected.
- Additional columns for tracking lesson/unit and assessment of each benchmark.Standards and Related Information
Standards and Related Information
Current Arts Education Requirements: Standards, Credits and Courses - updated July 2020 - 7/24/20
Draft 2018 Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in Arts Education - 2/18/20
Arts Standards Foundations Overview - 2/5/20
2018 Arts Standards Glossary - 2/5/20
2018 Arts Strands and Anchor Standards - 10/9/19
Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in Arts Education - DRAFT THREE - 6/1/18
2017-18 Arts Education Standards Commitee - 3/5/18
Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in the Arts (2008) - 2/11/15
Narrative version of the standards. These standards were promulgated into rule effective 11/16/2009.
Minnesota Academic Standards in the Arts 2008 - 12/23/14
Spreadsheet version of the Arts standards.