The goal of physical education is to develop physically literate individuals who have the knowledge, skills and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of physical activity. To fulfill a lifetime of physical activity, a physically literate individual:
- Has learned the skills necessary to participate in a variety of physical activities.
- Knows the implications and the benefits of involvement in various types of activities.
- Participates in regular physical activity.
- Is physically fit.
- Values physical activity and its contribution to a healthful lifestyle.
Standards, Assessments, and Graduation Requirements
- By the 2021-22 school year, instruction in physical education in grades K-8 must include all the 2018 Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in Physical Education.
- Instruction at the high school level must include the 2018 Minnesota Academic Standards in Physical Education beginning with the 2021-22 freshman (ninth grade) class.
- Competency in motor skills and movement patters.
- Application of knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics to movement and performance.
- Demonstration of knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain physical fitness and physical activity
- Demonstration of responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Recognition of the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.
All schools are required to develop assessments for their locally developed benchmarks for the 2010 K-12 Academic Standards in Physical Education as well as for the required grade-level benchmarks accompanying the 2018 K-12 Academic Standards in Physical Education(that are to be implemented by the 2021-22 school year). As requested by the Minnesota State legislature (Minnesota Statutes, section 120B.021), the Minnesota Department of Education has released some sample assessments for measuring student performance aligned with the 2018 Minnesota K-12 Physical Education Standards. These user-friendly sample assessments allow teachers to measure performance and knowledge across all five state standards. Teachers can use them as they are, modify them to fit a curriculum, or use them to create original assessments that is more appropriate for the school’s teaching environment and needs. To download the documents, select the desired grade span:
- Elementary School (grades K-5) Physical Education Sample Assessments
- Middle School (grades 6-8) Physical Education Sample Assessments
- High School (grades 9-12) Physical Education Sample Assessments
Professional Learning and Coming Events
Recognition and Awards Programs
Content Specialist Contact Information
Resources for Teaching and Instruction
- Physical Education Standards Support for Distance Learning
- Physical Education Support for Distance Learning
- Lessons learned in Implementing Online Physical Education In Minnesota Webinar, Grade 6-12
- Physical Education in the 2020-21 School Year: Recommendations and Resources
Standards and Related Information
2010 Academic Standards in Physical Education with Sample Benchmarks and Activities - 8/1/19
2018 Academic Standards in Physical Education - 8/1/19
The new K-12 Academic Standards in Physical Education are to be fully implemented by the 2021-2022 school year.
Recommended Transition Timeline - 1/30/18
Recommended timeline for school districts to transition from the current physical education standards to the 2018 K-12 Academic Standards in Physical Education.