- September 16, 2020 Social Studies Standards Review Committee Agenda
- September 16, 2020 Social Studies Standards Review Link to Public Meeting
Standards, Assessments, and Graduation Requirements
- Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in Social Studies 2011
- Social studies students in grades 6-12 must also complete the Literacy in History/Social Studies Standards included in the Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards in English Language Arts (2010) (pages 80-90).
- Frequently Asked Questions: 2011 Social Studies Standards
- Academic Standards: Social Studies K-12 (2011) - Spreadsheet
Students are also required to satisfactorily complete three and one-half (3.5) credits of social studies, encompassing at least U.S. history, geography, government and citizenship, world history, and economics sufficient to satisfy all of the academic standards in social studies.
- A one-half credit of economics taught in a school’s agriculture education or business department may fulfill a one-half credit in social studies if the credit is sufficient to satisfy all of the academic standards in economics (Minn. Stat. § 120B.024, Subd. 2(a)).
K-3 - Foundations of Social Studies (all disciplines) balanced among the four social studies disciplines, with no single discipline emphasized over another.
- Grade 4 - Geography of North America
- Grade 5 - History of North America (up to 1800)
- Grade 6 - Minnesota Studies – state history and government and Minnesota’s role within the larger context of the country.
- Grade 7 - United States Studies (history and government 1800–present)
- Grade 8 - Global Studies (interdisciplinary; world geography and contemporary world history)
At any grade level, the benchmarks from multiple disciplines can be combined to facilitate integrated, or interdisciplinary, learning experiences.
The standards represent the minimum requirements; schools may offer courses in additional disciplines including psychology, sociology, archeology, and anthropology.
Social Studies Standards Review Information: The Social Studies standards will be reviewed again during the 2020-21 school year and every 10 years thereafter.
The Minnesota Department of Education is pleased to announce the 2020-21 Minnesota K-12 Social Studies Committee. The committee will review the current 2011 Minnesota K-12 Academic Social Studies Standards, gather feedback and propose new standards. The date by which all schools must implement the new standards will be determined during the rulemaking process.
- Minnesota K-12 Social Studies Standards Review Process Timeline
- 2020-21 Social Studies Standards Committee’s Guiding Assumptions
Content Specialist Contact Information
Resources for Teaching and Instruction
- Learning Law and Democracy Foundation (LLAD)
- Minnesota Alliance for Geographic Education (MAGE)
- Minnesota Council for History Education (MNCHE)
- Minnesota Council for the Social Studies (MCSS)
- Minnesota Council on Economic Education (MCEE)
- Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS)
- Minnesota Humanities Center (MHC)
- The grades K-5 videos provide benchmark-by-benchmark explanations along with suggested instructional strategies for educators and activities for students.
- The grades 6-12 videos offer effective social studies instructional strategies.
Standards and Related Information
2020-21 Minnesota Social Studies Standards Committee - 9/21/20
2020-21 Social Studies Standards Committee’s Guiding Assumptions - 3/2/20
Academic Standards: Social Studies K-12 (2011) - Spreadsheet - 8/15/18
This spreadsheet allows for sorting of the standards and for adding columns for instructional resources and assessments.
Frequently Asked Questions: 2011 Social Studies Standards - 8/15/18