Standard Adult Diploma

Minnesota adults who do not have a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) Diploma have following three options for obtaining a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma:

Standard Adult High School Diploma
The 2014 Minnesota Legislature approved a third secondary credential option for adults: a state standard adult high school diploma. The standard adult high school diploma is competency-based and is completed through participation in an approved Minnesota Adult Basic Education program. Completion of the program is recognized by the state with a diploma awarded by the Minnesota Department of Education. For more information about this option, see the document titled "Minnesota Standard Adult High School Diploma Overview" below.

K-12 Credit Diploma Completion
Also known as Credit Completion or Credit Recovery, Adult Basic Education (ABE) programs and/or local school districts may provide the opportunity for participants to complete the course requirements needed to obtain a high school diploma from a Minnesota school district. Not every Minnesota ABE program is able to offer this option due to the intensive time commitment for adult students and expensive resource commitment for programs and schools. The diploma is approved and issued by a local school district.

Test-Based High School Equivalency Diploma (GED)
The Minnesota Department of Education issues a high school equivalency diploma to Minnesotans who pass an approved high school equivalency assessment. To date, the approved test has been the GED. However, state legislation passed in 2017 will create a process to evaluate which test(s) the State of Minnesota will approve tentatively starting July 1, 2020. For additional information on current high school equivalency assessments in Minnesota, please visit the High School Equivalency Testing/GED page.

Minnesota Adult Literacy Hotline

To find an approved ABE program to help you earn your diploma as an adult, please visit the Minnesota Adult Literacy Hotline or call 1-800-222-1990.