Parents for Healthy Schools
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has developed a web resource called Parents for Healthy Schools. The website has information that helps parent learn how to promote nutrition, physical activity, and management of chronic conditions in schools.
School Wellness Committees
One important way you can help support the health of your local school community is by participating on the school wellness committee. Parents, students, teachers, administrators, school board members and others may be part of the school wellness committee. School wellness committees, which may also be called school health councils or advisory groups, work on improving school or district wellness policies and practices. View more information on local school wellness policies.
Back to School Checklist
Students head back to classrooms in a few weeks. Here is a brief checklist to assist you as you prepare for a healthy school year.
- Make sure immunizations are up to date. The Minnesota Department of Health can help you find out who needs vaccines and when.
- Review hygiene tips to prevent the spread of infections. The Minnesota Department of Health has resources on hand washing to prevent the spread of germs.
- Establish a bedtime and wake-up time to ensure adequate and consistent sleep.
- Eat breakfast each day at home or at school.
- Get involved. Sign up for the school wellness committee or parent organization.