The Office of Indian Education works to strengthen and promote positive experiences and educational outcomes for American Indian students statewide.
We work to accomplish this mission by:
- Building meaningful relationships
- Engaging in timely and courageous conversations
- Providing education and professional development
- Proposing and supporting policies
- Efficiently providing guidance and resources to districts and stakeholders
- Actualizing the Ten Minnesota Commitments to Equity
- Language, culture, and the significant and complex history of Indigenous peoples
- The input of Minnesota's Tribal Nations and communities
- The perspective of parents and students
- The gifts and unique cultural needs of American Indian students
- Effective and innovative programming options
American Indian students will reach their full potential within their school communities through meaningful, equitable, and targeted educational experiences that affirms and values their unique cultural identities.
The Ethel Curry American Indian Leadership Scholarship
The Ethel Curry American Indian Leadership Scholarship (ECS) is an annual award program that aids American Indian students in their pursuit of higher education opportunities. Awards generally range from $1,000-$4,000 per academic year, but can and do vary. Applications may be submitted annually from March 1 to May 31. Applications received outside of this time frame will not be considered.
- Applicants must be an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited higher education institution in the state of Minnesota.
- Applicants must be pursuing an apprenticeship, two-year, four-year, graduate or doctoral degree.
- Undergraduate applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- Graduate/Doctoral applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate leadership qualities within the American Indian Community.
- Preference may be given to residents of Minnesota.
Ethel Curry Scholarship Applicant Packet - 2/12/18